Q. No.1: Write a paragraph of 200 words on any ONE of the following topics: (20 Marks)
- a. Gender inequality in Pakistan
- b. Good governance is key to poverty alleviation
- c. A Critical Analysis of Education System in Pakistan
- d. Role & Power of Media in Today’s World
Q. No.2: Use any Ten of the following idiomatic expressions in sentences to make their meaning clear. (10 Marks)
- once in a blue moon
- a piece of cake
- let the cat out of the bag
- kill two birds with one stone
- a blessing in disguise
- get out of hand
- comparing apples to oranges
- a wild goose chase
- hit the nail on the head
- at the drop of a hat
- burn the midnight oil
- make a long story short
Q. No.3: Write a letter to your friend inviting him to join you for a visit to Pakistan’s Northern Areas. (10 Marks)
OR Write an application to the Manager of your Bank about a suspicious transaction in your account.
Q.No. 4: Write the antonyms of the following words. (5 Marks)
a. Feeble b. Wane c. Abhor d. Agile e. Nadir
Q.No. 5: Change the narration of any Five of the following sentences. (5 Marks)
1. The student said, “We were reading books.”
2. Rahim says, “I did not play as I was sick.”
3. He says, “I will go to London tomorrow.”
4. He said to her, “Please lend me your camera for one day.”
5. “Alas! I have broken my brother’s watch” said he.
6. Ali said, “He has been waiting for his brother for three hours.”
7. The teacher said to Sana, “Have you completed your task.”
Q. No. 6: Change the voice of any Five of the following sentences. (5 Marks)
1. Extreme weather causes high temperatures.
2. This morning the police arrested burglar.
3. British author George Orwell wrote the allegorical novel Animal Farm during World War II.
4. Did the mechanic fix your car?
5. We will have eaten dinner by the time you get there.
6. Always speak the truth.
7. Open the front door
Q.No. 7: Fill in the blanks with suitable prepositions. (10 Marks)
1. He has got a nice house to live _____ .
2. The boy was struggling to translate a passage from English _____ Urdu.
3. The technician has been working in the factory _____ last five years.
4. We shall go to the park or the beach, depending _____ weather.
5. The term paper is due _____ 3 p.m. on the 5th of June 2019.
6. He prefers to travel _____ train.
7. The students were advised not to write _____ green ink.
8. I wake up _____ 6 a.m. every morning.
9. His father died _____ cancer
10. He worked hard. Now he is very good _____ English.
Q. No. 8: Make a precis of the following passage and suggest a suitable title. (20 Marks)
There has existed throughout the history of mankind a strange, albeit, an ironic relationship between the past and the future. The people who just eulogize their past without critical analysis and seek to recreate a utopian past almost invariably do not succeed, while those who view the past realistically, comprehensively and critically are able to draw on the past in useful, meaningful and lasting ways. They learn lessons from the history and apply those lessons for better future. Such people have in their future, and they approach the past with seriousness and critical reverence. They study the past realistically, try to comprehend the values, aesthetics, and traits which invested an earlier civilization its grandeur or caused it to decline. They preserve its remains, and enshrine relevant and enriching images and events of the past in their memories both collectively and individually. They attempt to adopt the values and traits which led earlier people rise, and shun the reasons and mistakes that precipitated their downward journeys. In sharp contrast to them, people and governments with an uncertain sense of the future manifest deeply skewed and subjective relationships to their history. They eschew lived history, shut out its lessons, shun critical inquiries into the past, neglect its remains but, at the same time, invent at their own imagined and toplan past-always shining, splendid and glorious. As a matter of fact, they are never able to benefit from their past. They study history, but learn nothing from history confidence
Q. No. 9: Translate the following passage into English. (15 Marks)
تاریخ گواہ ہے کہ پاکستانی قوم نے ہمیشہ جرات اور بہادری سے ہر چیلنج کا مقابلہ کیا ہے ہے اور اللہ کے فضل سے ہمیشہ سرخرو ہوئی ہے ۔ دہشت گردی کے مقابلے میں پوری قوم نے جس طرح اپنی مسلح افواج اور قانون نافذ کرنے والے اداروں کا ساتھ دیا وہ اپنی مثال آپ ہے اور مسلح افواج اور دیگر اداروں کے نوجوانوں نے اپنی جان کی قربانی دے کر دہشت گردی کو جس طرح شکست دی وہ سنہری حروف سے لکھنے کے قابل ہے ۔ اللہ کے فضل سے آج ملک میں امن قائم ہوچکا ہے ۔ توانائی کی حالت بہتر ہے ۔ ملک میں پانی کے نئے ذخائر بن رہے ہیں۔ ملکی معیشت دن بدن مضبوط ہو رہی ہے ہے ہمسائے ممالک خاص طور پر عرب ممالک کے ساتھ تعلقات روز بروز بہتر ہو رہے ہیں ۔ آج پاکستان خطے میں باوقار، مضبوط پر امن اور ترقی کرتے ہوئے ملک کی حیثیت سے ابھر رہا ہے ۔ انشاءاللہ پاکستان کا مستقبل روشن ہے۔
If you want to stay update with PMS Syllabus, Study Material & daily news Join our Dedicated Facebook Group for PMS. Click Here to Join Facebook Group.